Thursday, August 11, 2011

Venison Osso Bucco



Fred being the Hunter~~ We really eat almost everything he hunts ~~ Of all the things I don't care for is the Wild Turkey~ It is just dry and not much meat. We have fried one before and it was Ok ~~ Still not my favorite. Our new favorite is Venison Osso Bucco ~ Love it! Fred has a first cousin who hunts also in Maryland. He told us to try this cut of meat (the shank ~ usually Fred throws this away ) This took a couple of tries to get the butcher to get the cut right but we are on a roll now. Try it you will Love it ! My recipe comes from Thibeault's Table ~ check out her blog ! I make Ina's oven Risotto and serve this on top.


"Recipes are meant to be shared"...Ann Thibeault

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 12, 2011
Osso Bucco is one of those dishes that I could never get excited about.  Many Osso Bucco recipes contain a can of tomatoes making the sauce more of a "tomato" sauce. And as much as I love tomato pasta sauces, it didn't appeal to me as a sauce for Osso Bucco.

Years ago I watched one of Lidia Bastianich's TV Series and in one of the episodes she prepare her Roasted Whole Veal Shank.  This recipe was from her cookbook  - Lidia's Italian Table.  I knew immediately that I would love this recipe and I was right.  I've made it often using the whole shank, but for just two, I adapt the recipe to make Osso Bucco.  The only tomato in the recipe is a squirt or two of tomato paste.

I really should make this recipe more often as it is a favourite of both of us.

You can't go wrong serving it over polenta or risotto.  

Last night I served it with a creamy polenta made with chicken broth, seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper  and finished with butter and fresh grated Parmesan and rapini.

Finished off with  a dusting  of Gremolata.

Osso Bucco

Based on Roasted Veal Shanks from Lidia's Italian Table

Veal shank cut into pieces 1 1/2 inches thick.
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
6 fresh sage leaves
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
(I keep a tube of tomato paste in the fridge
Salt/Pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F

Heat olive oil in oven proof pan. Brown veal shanks. Remove from pan and add chopped carrot and onions. Saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Add rosemary and sage, one cup of white wine, chicken broth and a squirt of tomato paste. Cover and put in the oven for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Check occasionally to make sure there is sufficient liquid.


Serve over Polenta or Risotto and sprinkle with Gremolata

Gremolata

3 or 4 tablespoons of chopped parsley
1 clove of minced garlic
Zest of one lemon

1 comment:

  1. And in slow cooker - 5-6 hours on HIGH for big shanks, adjust time if shanks are smaller :)

    ReplyDelete